I am trying to change my life for the better in small and big ways. How is it going this week?
1. I have finally sent off my application for a provisional driving licence. I sort of knew that if I did not post it, I would not have to book driving lessons. How’s that for self-sabotage? I live in a rural area and with the children in school, I now do have some time to spare. One Groovy Mum (thanks Polly) seems very clear that driving would transform my life so step one is accomplished. Well done me!
2. I went to an Open Evening at the local Voluntary Centre last night. It was a very cold day and I almost used that as an excuse not to bother. I had asked Him Indoors to take the afternoon of work to enable me to attend the event. I actually did this because I knew if I had inconvenienced him to that extent, I would feel morally bound to turn up. I have not felt so young for years as most of the potential volunteers were aged over 70. Most people seemed to know each other whereas I knew not a soul. This is always daunting. I am not one of those people who is very comfy in the stand around and chat scenario with strangers. If I have a role or a purpose, I get over that shyness but when it is “just Kate”, I struggle In fact, I did introduce myself but when asked “From?”, I did not know what to say. I am used to giving a job title but I don’t have one now. Or did they mean which village I lived in? Aaarrgh! I was then asked what I do and could not think of the correct answer again. Tear my hair out a lot, go slowly insane, blog a lot? Everything that came out of my mouth seems like the wrong thing to say. I made an escape trip to the loo when it all got too much. Anyway, on the positive side, I did speak to several people and asked vaguely intelligent questions. There are opportunities that I could do so I have brought the information pack and will pursue some of them. Another bonus was that I had a hour of Him Indoor’s company and we went for a drink whilst waiting for our takeaway.
3. I have invested in a trampoline so that I can have an alternative for exercise as well as the Wii Fit and the walking. I need to up my game on all getting fit fronts. I am finding it tough to make a fresh start after Christmas. I think this might be because I have had children home fairly continuously with illness since the school opened up again.
4. I am also struggling to get back into the healthy eating routine. I have made a start but I am not happy with how I keep giving in to temptation. Once again, I think being housebound with sick children has not helped on this front.
5. I have started to say yes to opportunities. I may well have some exciting news for you all next week please God. Watch this space!
6. I did something daft this week and bought myself 5 new coats. A woman was selling them on Netmums and I just thought it would be very groovy to have a different coat for every day of the week in different colours too. It might even force me out of the door for those walks I keep promising to do everyday.
7. I talked loud and proud about my work achievements in the past on this blog. I understand this has inspired other bloggers to do the same which is lovely to hear.
8. I applied for a job. I don’t necessarily want it as it would mean a silly commute but it felt good to put myself out there again. I don’t expect to get an interview either but it was more about making a move forward if that makes any sort of dumb sense at all.
In the midst of this, I have cared for 3 sick children and one permanently ill husband. I have enjoyed my Dad’s company and got him all set up with a printer and scanner.
Grooving whilst caring for others can be done.
If you want to join me and some other lovely mums in making changes, check out this https://kateonthinice.wordpress.com/how-to-be-a-groovy-mum/
If you get involved this week, you have the chance of winning a very special prize https://kateonthinice.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/mums-deserve-a-treat-win-a-50-voucher-from-experience-days/
If you want to check out this week’s optional challenges, here they are https://kateonthinice.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/fancy-a-challenge/